What We Believe:
Bible as our sole authority
"The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and makes us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens out and helps us to do what is right." 2 Timothy 3:16
- Since God's Word is the only completely reliable and truthful authority, we accept the Bible as our manual for living.
Autonomy of each local church
"Christ is the head of the Body, the church He is the source of the Body's life..." Colossians 1:18
- Christ is the recognized head of our church, not any person, group, or religious organization. While recognizing the value of associating and cooperating with other groups of Christians, we believe every local church should be self-governing and independent from any denominational control. However, we choose to cooperate with the Southern Baptist Convention.
Priesthood of the Believer
"Christ loves us, and by His death He has freed us from our sins and made us a kingdom of priests to serve God..."
God." Revelation 1:6
- The Bible teaches that every Christian is called to "full-time" Christian service, regardless of his or her vocation. We practice the truth that every believer is a minister by encouraging every member to find a place of service and ministry. Every believer has direct access to God through prayer and Bible reading.
"A tithe of everything you produce belongs to the Lord, it is holy to the Lord."
- At Mount Olive Baptist Church we practice tithing for the support of Christ's Body, the Church, as God commands. We recognize that giving 10% of our income is the Biblical standard of giving.
"For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ..." Colossians 2:12
- We practice baptism by immersion under water, the way Jesus was baptized, and the way the Bible commands.
"Jesus said, 'I am the Vine, you are the branches. If you abide in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; but apart from Me you can do nothing.'" John 15:5
- We believe the only way possible to live the Christian life is by God's power within us. So we seek to practice a daily dependence on God's Spirit to enable us to do what is right.
Telling others about Christ - Evangelism
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason of the hope that you have." 1 Peter 3:15
- It is the responsibility of every Christian to share the Good News with those God brings us into contact with. We encourage our members to make it a priority to share their faith with each person they come into contact with.